Visitors and locals in Feldkirch like to stroll through cobbled streets below protective arcades and past city towers and the remains of the former city walls. Many notable personalities once walked these streets like famous novelist James Joyce or Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, who went to school at the famous Feldkirch Jesuit College Stella Matutina for a year. Today, the building is home to the State Music Conservatory with its beautiful concert hall.
The Schattenburg castle, a city landmark constructed in 1200, enjoys an elevated position high above the city. The mighty fortress was once the home of the Dukes of Montfort and Hapsburg reeves. Today, the castle houses a restaurant and a museum. Museum guests have access to the keep, which features fantastic views over the city and the surrounding area.
Feldkirch is known for its diverse cultural offerings. The “Montforter Zwischentöne” events, for instance, play music and host lectures three times per year. In summer, the high point is the poolbar festival, which for six weeks in summer is devoted to music from pop to alternative. In winter, the “Blosengelmarkt,” the Christmas market and Advent concerts add to the festive atmosphere. During the Alemmanic ‘Fasnacht’ carnival, Guggamusik brass bands and masked participants parade through town.
- The “Montforter Zwischentöne” events open the spaces between music and dialogue in February, June and November.
- Enjoy music from alternative to pop at the poolbar festival in summer.
- Street art is presented at the Gaukler festival in July.
- “Potential,” the culture festival for urban planning, takes place in October/November.
- During Advent, the “Blosengelmarkt” and Christmas market contribute to the holiday atmosphere.
Worth seeing and visiting
- Insights into life in former times are provided by the museum in the Schattenburg castle.
- The Montforthaus in the city centre, which hosts cultural events and meetings, provides a modern contrast.
- Shops, cafés and restaurants populate the medieval city centre.
- The St. Nikolaus dome is one of the most significant Gothic churches.
- Guests have free access to the deer park in Ardetzenberg. Wine is also cultivated in this elevated area.